Turkey bolognese is one of my favorite meat sauces to put over pasta or veg! Here is my healthy turkey bolognese recipe, perfect for lunch or dinner!
After going away this weekend I needed to make something quick on Sunday night that I could bring in for lunch this week. The idea for turkey bolognese popped into my head! I knew that I had a spaghetti squash on the counter that I could quickly roast, and that meant all I had to do was let a pot simmer and make some healthy turkey bolognese sauce!
As usual, you will find some vegetables in this sauce, which makes it extra yummy :). If you don’t like or have a spaghetti squash then you can put this sauce practically over anything, zucchini noodles, angel hair (my fave), penne, veggie pasta, and more!!
What I did this week was I put the sauce over some spaghetti squash, and topped it with some pecorino romano cheese. I also made a mini garlic pita on the side. Here is how I made this:
Garlic Bread Pita
- Mini Joseph’s Pita
- Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray
- Garlic Powder
- Pecorino Romano Cheese
How To Make It:
- I split the pita into two, I find the seam and I rip it so it is like I have two really thin pitas.
- Then I spray the pita with the butter spray
- Then sprinkle the garlic powder and cheese on top
- Toast in the toaster oven for 2-3 minutes.
Super easy! And the aroma of garlic bread fills the room, I love it!
The Spaghetti Squash:
How To Roast A Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Poke your squash with a fork to make holes on the surface
- Microwave the squash for 1 minute
- Using a sharp knife cut the squash in half (long ways)
- Scoop out the seeds with a spoon
- Place the squash on a foil lined baking sheet face down (so the skin is facing up)
- Spray with cooking spray and bake for 40 minutes
- When the squash is done take it out and let it cool
- Then use a fork to scrape out the squash (this should be easy or it is not done)
- It will look like strands of spaghetti! And with the right sauce it is hard to tell the difference.
Again, you do not have to make this sauce with spaghetti squash but it is very good!!
Now for what you have been waiting for…the ingredients for the healthy turkey bolognese!!
Healthy Turkey Bolognese Ingredients:
- Chopped onion
- Minced Garlic
- Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- Chopped Celery
- Chopped Carrots
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Fat Free Sour Cream
- Garlic powder, dried basil, dried parsley and a bay leaf
Most if these ingredients I already had at my house so it was an easy fix to a Sunday with limited time to meal prep!
This recipe makes 5 generous servings, 290 grams, for 210 calories and 24.7 grams of protein!!
If you love ground turkey take a look at more of my healthy ground turkey recipes: Three Cheese Pasta Bake, or my Ground Turkey Chili Bake . Full healthy turkey bolognese recipe and ingredients below.
- 144 grams Chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 456 grams Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 125 grams Chopped Celery
- 186 grams Chopped Carrots
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 787 grams
- 20 grams Butter
- 60 grams Fat Free Sour Cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Begin by chopping your onion, celery, and carrots.
- Add the butter to the bottom of a large pot and place the garlic, onions, and celery into the pot.
- Let the vegetables cook through and then add in the ground turkey and cook completely.
- Now add the carrots, spices, and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to simmer, cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Now it is all done!
- Divide and serve or prep for the week!
Serving Size:290 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 4.1gSaturated Fat: 1.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 52.3mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 18.5gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 9.1gProtein: 24.7g