The best part of the winter months is the hot drink that is associated with it, yes I am talking about hot cocoa. What makes this protein hot chocolate recipe different from traditional hot chocolate is it is high in protein, low calorie, and extra creamy. If you have a sweet tooth but are trying to be a little healthier this is the perfect alternative.
Get ready to make the best healthy hot chocolate you will ever taste made with three simple ingredients. This is not a super complicated recipe where you melt the chocolate, add maple syrup, brown sugar, and hot chocolate mix, you need 3 ingredients and you can make it in under 5 minutes!
The reason that this recipe differs from regular hot chocolate is that it is only 190 calories for a large cup, 21 grams of protein, and only 6 grams of sugar.
Protein hot chocolate ingredients:
- 2 scoops, Hot Cocoa Vegan Protein Powder; I used Naked Nutrition, it is a pea protein and it tastes so delicious! This is a seasonal flavor and is only available until it sells out, I highly recommend buying it, but you can also use your favorite chocolate protein powder. Chocolate whey protein powder would work as well.
- 1 tbsp Marshmallow fluff: This ingredient gives the hot cocoa the perfect consistency. It makes it so creamy and delicious! It is super important you add this, but if you want to make this recipe extremely low carb, you can omit it
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk: Almond milk is my favorite milk by far, but you can use skim milk, coconut milk, or any milk of choice, all will work just fine.
- Whipped cream: I love to use fat-free whipped cream, but if you are making this recipe completely vegan you can use dairy-free whipped cream
- Chocolate chips or chocolate shavings: I personally love shaving some white and milk chocolate over the top of the hot beverage.
Can you store the protein hot chocolate?
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time you can prepare it following the directions and pour it into a mason jar. You should allow it to cool fully, put a lid on top, and store it in the fridge for 1-2 days. There may be some separation, so make sure to stir, and heat before consuming. If you do not have a mason jar you can opt for an air tight container.
How do you make marshmallow fluff hot chocolate?
I am not sure why this idea never crossed my mind before, but adding just a little tablespoon of marshmallow fluff to the protein hot cocoa makes it so creamy and delicious! A little goes a long way and you get the marshmallow flavor we all love that is associated with creamy hot chocolate.
How many grams of protein are in this recipe?
The protein hot chocolate is only 190 calories, and 21 grams of protein. If you want this recipe to have more protein you can add some extra protein to boost the amount. Protein has the highest thermic effect of food so it takes a lot for our body to digest! I try to stick to 20-40 grams of protein in one sitting!
Can you use a milk frother to make this recipe?
Another fun way you could make this recipe is by mixing the protein powder with hot water, frothing the almond milk, and pouring it over top for a foamy hot cocoa.
What is the carbohydrate count of protein hot chocolate?
This recipe has 12 grams of carbohydrates.
Search HNFIT Creamy High Protein Hot Chocolate in My Fitness Pal for easy logging
12 g carbs
6 g fat
21 g protein
What else can you add to hot chocolate?
So believe it or not, I almost made this into a fluffernutter hot chocolate. So in addition to the tablespoon of marshmallow fluff, you would also add one tablespoon of peanut butter. My goodness, how delicious would that be?
Can you add protein powder to hot drinks?
Yes, you can. I recommend adding the protein powder to the liquid prior to heating it up. So if you are warming it on the stove, add the powder promptly. If you are microwaving the drink, you can mix the powder and liquid, then heat it up.
Can you make hot chocolate with protein powder?
This creamy protein hot chocolate recipe combines almond milk, vegan chocolate protein powder, and marshmallow fluff.
Is hot chocolate a good source of protein?
The hot chocolate mix you find at the store does not have a lot of protein. But if you use chocolate whey protein powder or chocolate vegan protein powder, you can make a delicious high-protein hot cocoa.
Other recipes you will enjoy:
- 2 scoop Naked Nutrition Hot Cocoa Protein
- 1 tbsp Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 cup Unsweetened almond milk
- Marshmallow fluff and whipped cream
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, add almond milk.
- Heat milk, and add the protein powder, and marshmallow fluff. Constantly stir, until melted fully.
- Optional; top with whipped cream and marshmallow fluff and enjoy
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 6gCarbohydrates 12gProtein 21g